Being in a weird frame of mind, it makes me wonder how using this product
would affect program management and testing. Historically, programmer code,
compile, test, then optimize. But if the optimizer actually "recompiles"
the object code into new object code, then doesn't that new object code
need to be as thoroughly tested as the original, unoptimized, code? So, is
the sequence now: code, compile, optimize, test? Also, how well is this
optimized code supported by products such as AbendAid or Fault Analyzer?
Can they still back track to the original COBOL statement and, when
necessary, individual data item which caused an abend?

Doesn't really matter to me. Come 1Q or 2Q and the z is dead as am I.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> Very quick answer -- I have been through the presentation but am not an
> expert and have not used.
>
> Think of it as a compiler. Most compilers are source code in, object code
> out; it is object code in, object code out.
>
> You would not do it to programs that you recompiled in the conventional
> way -- no benefit. It is for "lost the source code, not sure if the source
> code matches what we run in production" type situations -- of which
> apparently there are myriad, enough to justify a product.
>
> Charles

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown