> One question I would liked answered by the experts is why now with
> 64-bit storage one would choose to use a hiperspace (or dataspace) over
> just using storage above the bar?

  TYPE=CACHE hiperspaces continue to provide a function that z/OS has
not provided with 64-bit memory objects.  With TYPE=CACHE, the data you
write to the hiperspace remains in real storage (prior to zArchitecture,
it was in expanded storage) unless the system needs to steal that storage.
When the storage does need to be stolen, the system takes it without
paging the data out to aux .   The data is lost, and presumably the user
has another copy of it somewhere.  HiperBatch is one thing that uses
TYPE=CACHE hiperspaces.  Although I don't know how much HiperBatch is
used these days.  For QSAM, if zHPF is being used, HiperBatch will
not be used (which was done to avoid the development cost of
implementing HiperBatch for QSAM zHPF).  So you can have the
I/O performance improvement from zHPF for QSAM, or the I/O reduction
from HiperBatch caching for QSAM, but not both.

im Mulder   z/OS System Test  IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY