On 26 November 2015 at 09:47, Elardus Engelbrecht
<elardus.engelbre...@sita.co.za> wrote:
> Peter Relson wrote:
>>Further, it [Transactional Execution] is not available on any z/OS release if
>>z/OS is running under VM.
>
> Very interesting. Are there other functions also absent when z/OS is running
> as a guest under z/VM?

Large (1MB) page support, among several others.

<idle speculation>
I guess (and I have no IBM-internal knowledge whatsoever about this)
that this is all about a three-way battle between Poughkeepsie,
Endicott, and Boeblingen. Pok has never been wild about running z/OS
under VM, and Boeblingen has shifted from VM as the hypervisor they
absolutely needed to make Linux practical, to KVM, and so perceives
that they can do it all on their own. Where does this leave z/VM? In
third place with insufficient resources, I suspect. Maybe little has
changed since the 1970s and 80s that Lynn Wheeler writes of here so
often...
</idle speculation>

Tony H.