On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 12:35:19 -0500, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

> on 11/27/2015 at 01:10 AM, "Jack J. Woehr"  said:
>
>>I sympathize. Imagine what I've experienced swimming upstream the
>>other direction into mainframe land. Linking and Accessing and
>>Detaching minidisks
>
>How does that differ from mounting and unmounting file systems?

In UNIX, mounting filesystems is the responsibility of the administrator;
in CMS of the end user.  And there's the irritant of running out of drive
letters so in order to mount somthing needed the user must detach
something needed slightly less.  This might be alleviated by SFS except
that most traditional utilities (still) don't honor SFS-native paths.

And CMS keeps ACCESSed directories in each user's virtual storage.
This is somewhat alleviated by decreasing cost of storage, offset
in turn by growth of filesystems.

>>which I would find on Unix by
>>    locate filename.foo
>
>Locate won't find it in an unmounted file system.

But, in UNIX the user can usually expect to find the filesystem mounted,
or at least when the LOCATE index was generated.

-- gil