I get it. There are different meanings of 'architecture level'. You need more
granularity. Not knowing the ins and outs of the various control blocks
suggested by others, I would take the KISS approach with a table of supported
models and what action you would take for each. A substantial but not endless
list. Inelegant, but easy(ish) to build and maintain. DISPLAY M=CPU gives
detail on CPC family and model number in various formats. If a match is not
found in your table, use the highest one you support and issue a warning
message. You have to determine this at run time because a program could easily
need to run on a machine higher or lower than one it's compiled on.

IEE174I 12.15.00 DISPLAY M 245
PROCESSOR STATUS
ID  CPU                  SERIAL
00  +                     ssssss2827
01  +                     ssssss2827
02  +I                    ssssss2827
03  -
04  -I

CPC ND = 002827.H43.IBM.02.0000000ssssss
CPC SI = 2827.704.IBM.02.0000000000ssssss
         Model: H43
CPC ID = 00
CPC NAME = cpc-name
LP NAME = lpar-name     LP ID =  #
CSS ID  = 0
MIF ID  = 1

+ ONLINE    - OFFLINE    . DOES NOT EXIST    W WLM-MANAGED
N NOT AVAILABLE

I        INTEGRATED INFORMATION PROCESSOR (zIIP)
CPC ND  CENTRAL PROCESSING COMPLEX NODE DESCRIPTOR
CPC SI  SYSTEM INFORMATION FROM STSI INSTRUCTION
CPC ID  CENTRAL PROCESSING COMPLEX IDENTIFIER
CPC NAME CENTRAL PROCESSING COMPLEX NAME
LP NAME  LOGICAL PARTITION NAME
LP ID    LOGICAL PARTITION IDENTIFIER
CSS ID   CHANNEL SUBSYSTEM IDENTIFIER
MIF ID   MULTIPLE IMAGE FACILITY IMAGE IDENTIFIER

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson