Sorry. MSUs are *incredibly* important to some (most?) customers. They are a
major buy/no-buy decider. I cannot ship z900 code and shrug my shoulders
about performance on a z13. IBM (as an example) has come to realize that
customers are not willing to run S/390 instruction set COBOL executables on
a z13  -- witness the Binary Optimizer. I get paid to be concerned about
this stuff and I take the responsibility to live my life in a way that
avoids ulcers. Shipping the source is utterly out of the question, both for
intellectual property reasons and because at more and more customers even
coding a Rexx script is beyond the local programming abilities: they could
never compile the code successfully -- and many are so busy (understaffed?)
they would not be willing to take the time even if they could.

At some sites we process millions of events per day per LPAR. A millisecond
per event is thousands of CPU seconds per day.

> let the responsibility lie with the customer

Customers basically pay us to take that responsibility.

> you will always get an 0C1 if you execute the instruction on a machine
that is incapable of executing that instruction

No argument there! <g>

Seriously, thanks for your input.

Charles