On Nov 30, 2015, at 5:44 PM, J O Skip Robinson wrote:

I'm reaching back a long way to stretch the notion of 'straightforward', but here goes. When I was a novice sysprog, my shop had an Amdahl. MVS at that time predated 'system product'. (Way back.) IBM shipped a new level of MVS that executed instructions not present our Amdahl. Amdahl responded by shipping some code that was loaded early in IPL to accommodate the new instructions. The code would trap a S0C1, determine if it were a new instruction, and if so, 'fix' it. Some instructions were considered unnecessary; others needed to be simulated. Unnecessary instructions were NOOPed in memory; a simulated instruction was replaced in memory with a direct branch to the simulation routine. As time went on after an IPL, there were fewer and fewer S0C1s to deal with.

So what about taking a similar approach with an all-architecture product? Write it to run on the latest hardware and trap the S0C1s that occur on older hardware, then simulate the unexecutable instruction with something 'traditional'. Whew. Sounds like a lot of work, but you would have a truly universal product.

Then there is the "other" story. A well known southern university were being told that they had to go AMDAHL. The manager cooked up a program that ran poorly on AMDAHL and the IBM it ran perfectly (of course).
They used that justification to pick IBM.

Ed