From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Robert A. Rosenberg
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 8:54 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Any clever way to defeat the C compiler's options precedence?

At 20:03 -0600 on 12/01/2015, Wayne Driscoll wrote about Re: Any clever way
to defeat the C compiler's options prece:

>I'll preface this by saying that I haven't coded C/C++ in almost a
>decade, and via JCL even longer, but if the SYSOPTF can be a
>concatenation (I don't know, and don't have source sitting around to
>test with) could you do something like the following:
>
>//SYSOPTF DD DISP=SHR,DSN=USER.COPTS(MAINOPTS)
>//                DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=USER.COPTS(ARCH&AVER.)
>
>And have a
>
>//  SET AVER=9 at the start of job, put the steps for the compiles that
>require ARCH(5) at the bottom with a SET AVER=5 before them and member
>ARCH9 contains
>ARCH(9)
>and member ARCH5 contains
>ARCH(5)

That might work BUT it requires you to reorder your JCL to handle which
modules are ARCH9 and which are ARCH5. If you want to make a module which is
currently ARCH9 into a ARCH5, you have to move its compile step from the
ARCH9 area to the ARCH5 area. What was asked for was a way for the module to
define itself as ARCH9 or ARCH5 via the in source parm statement without
needing to alter the JCL stream.