On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 10:02:01 -0600, Dana Mitchell wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 23:03:59 +0000, J O Skip Robinson wrote:
>
>>(This whole season feels like Friday.) A doughnut, on the other hand,
>>requires the hole for its very definition. The hole supplies no mass or
>>nutritional value, but without it the thing is not a doughnut. By contrast a
>>punch card requires the solid part to give the holes meaning; they would
>>otherwise collapse into gibberish.
>
>In school we verified that if you multi-punch every possible punch out of a
>card, the result is indeed very fragile.  But it was fun to dupe

This could inspire a Retro engineering project:  Given the constraint of
required mechanical
strength, devise an encoding that maximizes information density.  Akin to GCR:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_code_recording

(How much does the hole diminish the mechanical strength of the bagel?)

-- gil