Everyone pull that Write Punch and Silver patches and a box of cards..Grins

.

On Dec 2, 2015, at 12:33, J O Skip Robinson <jo.skip.robin...@sce.com> wrote:

One urban legend (not necessarily fiction) is an explanation for the curious
layout in EBCDIC coding. We have

A - I as C1 - C9
J - R as D1 - D9
S - Z as E2 - E9

Of course there is one more hex value in the neighborhood than there are
letters in English, but why jump from D9 to E2 instead of using E1 - E8? The
story I heard in computer school is that the EBCDIC ultimately derived from the
punch card layout. To represent a letter, a card required both a 'zone' punch
in one of the first three rows at the top plus a 'digit' punch further down in
the same column. The first group of letters used the top zone row and so on
through the alphabet. The last group of letters worked off the third zone row.
The story goes that early punch equipment and card stock were imprecise and
flimsy. In order to avoid having to deal with two vertically adjacent
punches--third zone row plus first digit row--the code was constructed to skip
the 1 digit for the letter S. Since a gap was needed anyhow, this was the ideal
place for it.

I love this story too much to challenge it.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson