Sometimes within a DD concatenation; sometimes not.  For example:

        3 //STEP  EXEC  PGM=IEFBR14
          //*
        4 //DD1    DD   *
        5 //       DD   PATH='/dev/./null'
        6 //  SET V1=WOMBAT
        7 //       DD   PATH='/dev/./null'
          //*
        8 //DD2    DD   *
        9 //  SET V2=WOMBAT
       10 //       DD   PATH='/dev/./null'
       11 //
 STMT NO. MESSAGE
       10 IEFC019I MISPLACED DD STATEMENT

Why does it report IEFC019I at statement 10, but not at statement 7?

I had grown accustomed to placing SET in complex concatenations, near
a reference for clarity.  Today was the first time I tried it after DD *.

Should I submit an RCF requesting clarification or an SR for inconsistent
behavior?

I hate JCL!

-- gil