mike.a.sch...@gmail.com (Mike Schwab) writes:
> If branch predicting is a big hang up, the obvious solution is to
> start processing all possible outcomes then keep the one that is
> actually taken.  I. E.  B OUTCOME(R15) where R15 is a return code of
> 0,4,8,12,16.

aka, speculative execution ... instructions executed on path ... that
is not actually taken ... are not committed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculative_execution
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculative_execution#Eager_execution

Eager execution is a form of speculative execution where both sides of
the conditional branch are executed; however, the results are committed
only if the predicate is true. With unlimited resources, eager execution
(also known as oracle execution) would in theory provide the same
performance as perfect branch prediction. With limited resources eager
execution should be employed carefully since the number of resources
needed grows exponentially with each level of branches executed
eagerly.[7]

... snip ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eager_evaluation