From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Tom Brennan
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2015 1:52 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is there a source for detailed, instruction-level performance
info?

Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

So what is an ordinary programmer to do?

Years ago I guess I had nothing to do so I wrote a program that hooked into
various LINK/LOAD SVC's and recorded the load module name (like Isogon and
TADz do).  That huge pile of data ended up on a tape and I wrote some code
to scan the tape for a particular module, to find out who was using it and
how often.

The scan took forever, so I worked quite a bit trying to make the main loop
more efficient.  Co-worker Stuart Holland looked at my logic and quickly
switched it to using a hashing lookup algorithm, making it run probably a
thousand times faster.  Oops :)