Maybe this problem could be approached from the 'outside'. I think the basic
information that the user is looking for is how much storage is allocated to an
LPAR. The HMC has a storage mapping facility that shows fairly quickly how much
storage each LPAR owns. AFAIK this query has no impact the OS itself. Modern
z/OS has the ability to interface with the HMC for any number of purposes. Why
not allow D M=STOR to use this 'external' mechanism? At least for a high level
summary. I don't think many shops these days run with storage offline; if so,
that could be displayed optionally with an extra keyword.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson