On 01/04/2016 02:35 PM, John Eells wrote:
> Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> <snip>
>>  From the APAR Radoslaw cited:
>> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg1II14147
>>
>> Modified date:
>> 2006-02-28
>>
>> APAR status
>>      INTRAN
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> "INTRAN" for 9+ years?  I guess that's one way to avoid saying "WAD"
>> or "PRS".
> <snip>
>
> It's not a defect APAR, but an INFO APAR; it was opened just to make
> the information searchable.  It's quite possible that nobody in IBM
> will care if it is *never* closed.  Defect APARs, by contrast, have
> deadlines.  (Whether it should have been considered a defect is a
> different matter.)
>
> In fact, a cursory look at the list of the first several hundred INFO
> (II*) APARs displayed by the search argument I used shows that most of
> those opened since the 1990's are still marked INTRAN today.  I would
> expect that when closed they would have a non-defect closing code
> (like CANceled), and though I did not check on the rules, a spot check
> seems to bear this out.

If this is an issue that had minor impact when real memory was much
smaller, perhaps an INFO categorization was appropriate then.  If with
typical memory configurations of today it is now causing the appearance
to end users of an outage of several minutes, the impact is no longer
minor and it would be equally appropriate that its status should be
re-visited and changed to a Defect APAR worthy of some resolution.

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org