From:   Skip Robinson <jo.skip.robin...@att.net>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date:   07/01/2016 15:49
Subject:        Re: Change CPC name in HMC
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

First off, you can name a CPC anything you want within the syntax rules.
Ideally you should pick a good name at initial install, but it can be
changed later. That being said, after we installed z12s in a new data
center in 2013, we intended to rename the z196 remaining in the old data
center. We never got that done because we had never actually renamed a box
before and were wary of what it would take to accomplish without
disruption. Nothing crucial depended on a rename, so we shined it on. The
name is embodied in two places:

-- The IODF names all processors.
-- The HMC/SE names each processor in several places from POR (Reset)
profile onward.

IODF and HMC must agree. For a new box, this is not so hard. The trick is
make a change without hosing up the environment. Also consider other
implications:

-- BCPii must also be updated. I consider that part of the HMC/SE tasks
above, but don't overlook it.
-- POR will be required.
-- SMF records contain the CPC name. Any post processing must take a
change into account.
-- It's not uncommon for various automation processes to refer to CPC by
name. Again, allow for this.
-- Many folks in the IT community may be attached to the old name in
various ways. Any change must 'socialized' thoroughly.

I suggest you pick a name that you won't regret later. Consider the
effects of future model upgrades, workload repurposing, and physical
relocation. However, if an upgrade involves a transition period where both
old and new boxes must coexist, you need two separate names at least for a
while. I can see the appeal of serial number to avoid these conundrums,
buy as you note the number is meaningless to all but a handful of
infrastructure geeks.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
323-715-0595 Mobile
jo.skip.robin...@att.net
jo.skip.robin...@gmail.com

Everything
> looked ok until we did a POR, then it would not come up. We had to
restore the
> CPC.
>
> Ouch. Where is that behaviour documented?
>
> Do you get a warning during the renaming that an upcoming POR may fail?
>
> >I don't know what went wrong, but after that, we no longer change the
> names.
>
> Now you got a new scar and a T-shirt as a bonus ... :)
>
> I would also not repeat that stunt after one failure.
>
> Groete / Greetings
> Elardus Engelbrecht

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.