So depending on the version of z/OS - look at On Demand Migration (v2.1 and
above), this might help more

Second, correct, files are only moved if DFHSM feels the volume needs to have
the space back, however, you could  have a migration policy in the management
class that says - if this is still on DASD after 1 month, then migrate the file.

It depends on what your requirements are.  You can just let files migrate as
HSM sees fit based on its algorithms for space management, or you can setup a
management class that says it gets migrated if unused in XX days.

Many choices.

Lizette