At 09:26 -0600 on 01/13/2016, Paul Gilmartin wrote about Re: Conversion from Unisys Cobol file definitions to zOS:

Does OPTCD=Q work on all device types?  I had got the impression it
applied only to tapes.

My impression may be wrong but I seem to remember that OPTCD=Q was used ONLY on 7-track tapes. This might be that the non-IBM machines writing ASCII only wrote 7-Track Tapes and did not support 8-Track tapes. This was years ago when I needed to support it and things probably have changed since then.