From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John Eells
Sent: 18 January 2016 14:05
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Cloning a Sysres and ZFS

To expand on that thought a bit:

- You can name the usercatalog using the volume name.

- You can use SYMBOLICRELATE on DEFINE ALIAS to point to the catalog thusly
named in the master catalog on the production system.

- If you have more than one volume in your target volume set, you can derive
system symbols for the other volumes from the system-provided
&SYSR1 symbol, given that you name them in a way that makes the volume names
derivable (such as ZOSR1, ZOSR2, etc.).

- You can put the SMP/E CSI data set on the sysres, too, and catalog it in the
same catalog.  This has four benefits. First, you have the inventory matching
the data sets on the same volume, so they stay in sync.  Second, you can get
information from the zones that match the data sets any time without worrying
about selecting the "right" zones to match the system's level.  Third, z/OSMF's
Software Management needs the zones for reporting to help answer questions like
"where do I NOT have this fix" and "when do I lose support for the products I
have deployed"?
  Fourth, you can at need clone and install service to the production level of
software without the need to have any other system available.
(If you worry about updating production data sets by accident, use ZONEEDIT to
point all the DDDEFs into Never-Never Land.)

Also, you can use a similar technique for subsystem (e.g., DB2) data sets,
except that you will need to change the symbols yourself because the system
will not build them for you.  Since you can use SETLOAD IEASYM and IEASYMU2 to
update the active symbols on z/OS V2.1 and up, you can even dynamically switch
back and forth at need.

van der Grijn, Bart , B wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> We clone our sysres (maintained in sandbox) every month to generate IPL
> volumes for the Dev and Prod LPARs. Almost all datasets on the sysres volume
> are in a user catalog on that same sysres, including the VERSION zFS. We
> don't have a single zFS in the master catalog. We're 2.1 now, but have had
> this setup for a number of releases, so I don't see any reason why you would
> need your zFS in Master for your 1.13 systems.
<snip>
--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie

"BANKEMFB" made the following annotations.
This is a confidential communication and is intended only for the addressee
indicated in the message (or duly authorised to be responsible for the delivery
of the message to such person). You are specifically prohibited from copying
this message or delivering the same, or any part thereof, to any other person,
whomsoever or howsoever, unless you receive written authorisation from us to
do.

If you are anyone other than the intended addressee, or person duly authorised
and responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended addressee, you
should destroy this message and notify us immediately.

Please note that we accept no responsibility whatsoever in the event that this
message or any other email message or any part thereof becomes known or is
communicated to anyone other than the intended recipient or other person
authorised in writing by us to receive it, howsoever arising and disclaim all
liability for any losses or damage which may be sustained by any person as a
result thereof.

Permanent TSB plc. is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland and is a tied
Assurance Agent for Irish Life Assurance plc.

Permanent TSB plc. registered in Dublin under No. 222332. Registered office is:
56-59, St. Stephen?s Green, Dublin 2, Ireland.