From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Skip Robinson
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2016 9:28 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Cloning a Sysres and ZFS

Most posts in this thread seem to support the strategy of 'cloning a running
system in order to do maintenance'. For as long as I can remember, we have
pursued the opposite strategy: the service environment is permanent for the
life of a ServerPac and is cloned to produce running systems to populate the
Enterprise. DDDEFs, once defined, are never changed; hence the chance of error
is near zero. There is no overlap between service and running systems. The
service environment is dump/restored to create running system(s) with
identifiers like sysplex and/or sysres name embedded in the restored objects.
Everything is shared within a sysplex; nothing is shared across sysplex
boundaries.

This strategy is probably incompatible with z/OSMF managed maintenance, but we
have yet to give that a go.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
323-715-0595 Mobile
jo.skip.robin...@att.net
jo.skip.robin...@gmail.com

 Warning: All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate
e-mail system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the
recipient. This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended only
for the use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this message
in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender immediately.