On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 13:40:26 UTC, Ed Gould  wrote:

> IMO IBM blew it on this alone and will loose customers. Maybe even
> the account I am helping out now. At best it was a short sighted
> attempt to get people to buy new hardware. In case IBM didn't realize
> money is extremely tight and bullying them is not a good way to make
> friends.
> I will help my client out on figuring a way around this financial
> bullying tactic. If asked I will explain IBM is no longer in the
> business of working for the small business.
>
> It might be IBM has done what MS did with XP. Hint people (many) are
> still running XP.
>
> Ed

Enterprise COBOL V3.4 was withdrawn from marketing in 2008 and is still
supported.

Enterprise COBOL V4.1 is still "marketed".

Enterprise COBOL V4.2 generates code for... ESA.

I'd not be surprised to see V4.2 still supported until at least 2032,
extrapolating from that one V3.4 data-point.

Smaller clients may miss out, at their choice, on new features in V5 and later,
but large clients have been missing out (with COBOL) on full use of the
architecture right up until the release of V5 (and implementation by a given
client).