Maybe switch out completely different UIs based on the detected screen
size?

If you detect 24x80, you could use a mode where each screen is like:

========= Acme Product Interface (snarky mode) ===========

What do you want to do?
a) ....
b) ....
c) ....

Type a letter HERE> __  and press ENTER (if you can find it).

(sorry David, it's Friday :-)

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com