From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Peter Relson
Sent: 15 March, 2016 13:07
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SMF41 VLF info and ALERTAGE

>Where does HC get this info from?

I'd say that "HC" does not get the info from anywhere. This is a VLF
health check, so VLF gets the information from its own control structures.
VLF knows when it cached something and when it trimmed it (i.e., chose to
remove the item from its cache for space reason). Thus it knows the "age"
of the item that is trimmed and can compare that to the AlertAge.

>This is useful information for adjusting the size of the VLF cache,
>but why is this value not made available in VLF's SMF 41-3?

Because no one has asked for that to be done (and we didn't think about it
when considering implementing the health check). That certainly seems like
a good thing to consider. Feel free to open an RFE to request it. For
example, perhaps what you would want in the SMF record for each VLF class
is:
-- the class's AlertAge
-- the class's current minimum age
(when the minimum age is less than the AlertAge, the check flags this as
an exception)

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology

e-mail, and delete this message.