On Mar 21, 2016, at 3:30 PM, Bill Woodger wrote:

We'll, I don't remember ever seeing a manual.

bitsavers has an OS/VS COBOL Compiler and Library Programmer's Guide from June 1984, and it refers to the ERRMSG method, and documents the COBOL runtime (OBJECT-TIME) messages.

My first use was of an ANS Full American National Standard COBOL for DOS/VS, to the 1968 COBOL Standard. I never saw a description of compiler diagnostic messages.

I've never needed one, and perhaps only a handful of times I've been asked by others "what does this message mean?".

For sysprogs, I'd expect a consultation for a "U" (the old "D" for Disaster), but otherwise I'd expect more knowledge amongst the applications staff.

sigh... with cutting expenses so much in the news (just look at IBM) you get what you pay for.

Ed

On Monday, 21 March 2016 19:21:44 UTC, Bob Butler  wrote:
On 2016-03-21, Don Poitras <sas...@sas.com> wrote:
The IBM C compiler certainly documents their compiler diagnostic messages.

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/ com.ibm.zos.v2r2.cbcdg01/cbcdg0112.htm

So do PL/I and VS FORTRAN. I can't check now but I would guess COBOL used to also but stopped at some point. In the old days the compiler messages were
in the Programmer's Guide.

Bob