From:   Elardus Engelbrecht <elardus.engelbre...@sita.co.za>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date:   01/04/2016 15:24
Subject:        Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Advice needed - GRS across 2 sysplexes
with shared dasd
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

Dyck, Lionel B. (TRA) wrote:

>An unintentional repeat.

It is all right. It seemed you got caught in this bad situation.

>The original PDSE issue was a PDSE was being read (no updates) on both
sysplexes and it became corrupted.  I was asked about PDSE protection for
a new project and that prompted this thread.

Corrupted after reads? What programs were used to read them? What is your
RACF reports telling about any successful accesses from both SysPlexes? If
you got only Read access reports, then it is time for a PMR.

> And yes the PDSE's along with all datasets are shared between both
sysplexes as all dasd is shared.  Not ideal but it is what it is so I was
looking for a solution.

Ok, let us see to help you. Must they be shared? Can you not keep two
copies which are NOT shared? Say one PDSE in one SysPlex and keeping
another in another SysPlex while using something to maintain identical
copies?

Another question - are ALL the LPARS on the same z/OS level? I'm asking
because you can do versioning of the members from z/OS v2.1?

Perhaps you could ensure there are timeslots for each SysPlex to allow
reads/updates? Say Morning is allowable for Plex 1 and Plex 2 in midday?
Or something like that.

I have for example a REXX program which is looking for the 'right' time
and then do actions based on time of day. You could write it to do things
on certain times in certain LPARS.

Someone said CA-MIM could be used, but I'm not sure.

I know above are straws, but anything including RACF should be examinated
to prevent PDSE damages in the future.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

Unless stated otherwise above: