On 2016-04-03, at 19:25, David Betten wrote:

> First of all, full disclaimer that I was in DFSORT development for about 8
> years so I might be biased.  But I just want to share a few thoughts.
>
> First the idea of loading all the data into a large hashmap to do the sort
> tends to eliminate one very important thing and that's overlap.
> Essentially, you read the entire input, conduct your massive hashsort, and
> then write the output with no overlap of those three phases.  ...

Strawman.  Or red herring.  Or some metaphor.

You seem to have deliberately made an adverse choice so you can refute
it.  Rather than hash, use a B-tree so sorting fully overlaps input.

One might argue that given sufficient page data space any sort could be
performed in virtual storage.  I suspect performance would be suboptimal.

I suspect that for a large enough data set Cooley-Tookey FFT brutally
defies LoR.  But some of the operations in C-T are hauntingly similar
to a balanced merge.  Might sorting techniques with workfiles implement
a C-T that outperforms a virtual storage implementation?

-- gil