From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Andrew Rowley
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2016 2:51 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Why sort (was Microprocessor Optimization Primer)

On 02/04/2016 10:09 PM, David Crayford wrote:
> IBM switched the magic bit to offload the JZOS JNI C/C++ workload to a
> zIIP so they could do the same for DFSORT. A well engineered library
> could handle the callbacks so the client just reads records like a
> normal API. That would certainly push Java batch up a notch.
One question that puzzles me (maybe it's my lack of an application programming
background): Why is sort used so much on z/OS?

I know you can then e.g. do grouping based on key changes, but is that really
necessary in current programs? Is that the reason it is commonly used?

I generally use e.g. Java HashMap, C# Hashtable for grouping so the data
doesn't need to be sorted. Do other common languages on z/OS provide similar
functions? (C++ I know.) Are there opportunities to use programming language
features to avoid sorts altogether?

Andrew Rowley

________________________________

ATTENTION: -----

The information contained in this message (including any files transmitted with
this message) may contain proprietary, trade secret or other confidential
and/or legally privileged information. Any pricing information contained in
this message or in any files transmitted with this message is always
confidential and cannot be shared with any third parties without prior written
approval from Syncsort. This message is intended to be read only by the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that
any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message, in any form, is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and/or Syncsort and destroy all copies of this
message in your possession, custody or control.