For EMC, there is a TTL (Time to Live) setting on the DLm that says in so many
days/hours, scratch the tape.

I can tell the tape is gone by going on the EMC DLm and see how many bytes are
on the tape. If it is 416 Bytes then the data has been reclaimed.

With most virtual tape system (I am guessing) you should compare what you see
is on the tape from both the mainframe software (like CA1) and the Virtual tape
system.  If the Virtual tape system shows less data then it is likely scratched.

Lizette