John McKown wrote:

<snip>
I can, vaguely, imagine PR/SM​ being able to have a special LPAR type
(conceptually like a CF LPAR) which could have a smart enough system on it
to be bootable (like CF) and has "utilities" on it to initialize DASD, then
install the base version _any_ IBM OS over the Internet. I.e. select z/VM &
this thing will download the equivalent of a single pack "installation"
z/VM which you can then IPL in a different LPAR. That "installation" z/VM
could then be used by the sysprog to create (and test?) the production z/VM
environment. Which could then run 2nd level, or be IPL'd into that
"installation" z/VM's LPAR (or another one). Same with z/OS. Get a basic
z/OS going. Use SMP/E to download your "server pak" or CBPDO, build &
customize your z/OS, then IPL that one. And so on for z/VSE, z/TPF, and
z/Linux.
<snip>

What we have today for the Customized Offerings Driver in DVD format is:

- An IPLable copy of standalone DFSMSdss on a DVD
- Dump files for the z/OS COD system on DVDs
- The capability with the COD z/OS system to download a ServerPac (or CBPDO if you're nuts) for a z/OS system and install it.

Not quite what you were imagining but at a macro level this is the same as "get a basic z/OS going," and "use SMP/E to download your" ServerPac or CBPDO, install it, and customized it for IPL. This has all been there since z/OS V1.13 GA, if I recall correctly.

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie