From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Christian Borntraeger
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:10 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Dynamic CPU ADD to a z/OS lpar

On 05/12/2016 08:33 AM, Vernooij, CP (ITOPT1) - KLM wrote:
> I am quite sure, at least for the z196, that you can online config CPs
> online, if they have been defined as Reserved. To do so, you must change the
> LPAR profile and de/reactivate the LPAR. So dynamically, in a running z/OS:
> no.
>
> Kees.

With all newer machines there is a "logical CPU add" that can add CPUs even if
reserved == 0.
You will be asked if that should happen for the running system, the profile or
both.

These CPUs appear then as reserved and can be configured on from the operating
system. At least that works with Linux and a z196 and IFLs, so I assume z/OS
should be able to do then same.

Christian