From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 2:27 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Two RFE's to please vote for

On Thu, 19 May 2016 13:57:41 -0500, Dyck, Lionel B. (TRA) wrote:

>I would like to encourage everyone on these listservs to check out these two
>RFE's and please vote for them - let's "nudge" IBM into doing them:

I have voted for both of these.  I think.  How does one indicate strength of
interest (1-2-3-4-5)?  I couldn't find that.

>TSO Pipes
>
>http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=47
>699

That's a weak "yes" for me.  But it shouldn't be "similar to CMS"; it should
rely on reusable code as much as possible, for
portability/compatibility/synchronized
maintenance.

>also for StreamIO
>
>http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=47
>742

That's a strong "yes".  I'd add a couple things:

o Stream I/O is already supported in compiled Rexx, but only for Classic data
sets,
  and in OMVS interpreted, but only for UNIX files.  Both should be supported
everywnere.

o The standard SIGNAL ON NOTREADY should be part of the requirement.  (That
  can't be done in a function package.)

(Can you amend?)

There's some overlap here; it should be possible to bridge stream I/O to the
putative TSO Pipelines.

Thanks,
gil