>Yes and no.  On true physical CKD devices that would be true.  On
today's emulated devices it isn't.

Yes, of course. I'm aware of the fact that today the CKD architecture is only
emulated on FBA devices by the storage subsystems.

>I believe that DFDSS PRINT uses a Read-count-key-data command CCW to
read data. The count, key, and data would be then be combined and
returned by the control unit as a single block of data which is
subsequently formatted by DFDSS.

Yet still the count field is printed on a line by its own. This is why I had
expected the key field to printed separately from the data field as well.

But I'm fine with this. Just wanted to make sure I'm not misinterpreting
anything.

Thanks
Peter Hunkeler