Out of curiosity, has anyone ever compare WAIT and POST with the LINKAGE=SYSTEM
operand as
opposed to without?

Art Celestini

At 05:44 PM 5/26/2016, Ed Jaffe wrote:

>On 5/26/2016 10:29 AM, Jerry Callen wrote:
>>Here are the results:
>>
>>Relative performance: total CPU
>>ECB                           1.0
>>Pause/Resume                  4.30
>>Transfer and Pause            3.25
>>Transfer with separate Pause  4.55
>>
>>Relative performance: elapsed
>>ECB                           1.0
>>Pause/Resume                  6.06
>>Transfer and Pause            4.75
>>Transfer with separate Pause  6.28
>
>Great benchmark! If you're ever looking for a job and we happen to have an
>opening... ;-)
>
>We ran a similar benchmark back in 2007 and discovered -- in addition to the
>great info you've provided -- that suspending or pausing SRBs is slower than
>suspending or pausing TCBs. We guessed the extra overhead was due to the fact
>that SRBs, unlike TCBs, have no control block and therefore must acquire an
>SSRB from ECSA, populate it with data from LCCA, PSA or whatever before
>suspending, and return it upon waking up.
>
>I agree the reference materials _imply_ that WAIT/POST are deprecated and that
>Pause/Release/Transfer should be used when possible. I believe that the issues
>surrounding ownership and management of the ECB storage played a larger role
>in those recommendation than raw performance did.
>
>--
>Edward E Jaffe
>Phoenix Software International, Inc
>831 Parkview Drive North
>El Segundo, CA 90245
>http://www.phoenixsoftware.com/

Art Celestini       Celestini Development Services
Phone: 201-670-1674                    Wyckoff, NJ
Mail sent to the "From" address  used in this post
will be rejected by our server.   Please send off-
list email to:  ibmmain<at-sign>celestini<dot>com.