>I agree the reference materials _imply_ that WAIT/POST are deprecated
>and that Pause/Release/Transfer should be used when possible. I

If you have a concrete reference, please provide it. WAIT/POST is in no
way deprecated.
One thing that is true is that Pause/Release avoids contributing to local
lock contention. This can make a significant difference to application
performance in some cases.
And the use of Wait/Post might, if not done properly, can introduce a
system integrity exposure (Pause/Release is not prone to this misuse).
"Properly" may require (for example) not using XM Post (it largely depends
on who owns the ECB storage and who owns the waiting work unit).

Keep in mind that a simple run showing repeated use of a service likely
does not provide overly meaningful information about the actual
performance effect of a service, since "in the absence of any contention"
is often not "real world". I'm also curious whether the runs were with
respect to an authorized invocation of wait/post vs an unauthorized
invocation.

FWIW, SSRBs are not in ECSA. They are partly in ESQA and a related
structure is in HV common. They persist until the end of the work unit
that needed one.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design