On 31 May 2016 at 13:13, Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com> wrote:
> I just noticed that OP is using Gmail. I have a Gmail account that I use
> almost exclusively from my phone. I likewise assumed that Reply, which I
> rarely use, included the sender's text, but preliminary testing shows that
> not to be true. Never paid attention before. I searched Settings and do not
> see an option to include (or not) the original text. Maybe some serious Gmail
> users can enlighten us.

I have the Gmail Android client. While I only rarely use it to reply,
I notice that it does have a check box "Quote text" (which is checked
by default), and a separate clickable "RESPOND INLINE"  that shifts
the original text to the top. None of this is really easy to use, but
that's mostly because of the small (phone in my case) screen and
difficulty in selecting and acting on portions of text.

Tony H.