On 7/1/2016 10:33 PM, Paul Schuster wrote:
Ed:

Can you elaborate on the reason(s) for your methodology:

"We routinely load base registers and "uninitialized" pointers to
7FFFF000 (or sometimes 7FFFFBAD) rather than zero."

The one reason I can visualize is that instead of unintentionally
accessing something in low core you would experience a S0C4 instead.

That is the #1 reason! Of course, we now have the ZAD PER interrupt to help catch accidental references to page zero that occur during in-house testing, but that's not nearly as effective as a straight-up 0C4 abend!

The secondary reason is IEBEYEBALL of dumps, traces, etc. If an address contains 7FFFFBAD then you know it's an intentionally "bad" address.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc