After my questions in a couple fora went unanswered, I looked further
into NFS documentation:

    z/OS Network File System Guide and Reference
    SC26-7417-13

    ... File time stamps in UNIX format are part of the attributes required
    by the NFS protocol for NFS client/server communication. ...

    2. MVS maintains the PDSE member create/change time stamp (mtime) in the
        PDSE AX cell. The Server uses a FileAccessMethodService (FAMS) call ...

A Google search for FAMS returns the NFS reference, a SHARE presentation, a RFE,
and several APARs.

Where is this thing documented?  It should be useful.

Also, from the NFS Guide:

    ... The server uses the following main time stamp sources to generate
    UNIX time stamps for MVS z/OS conventional (legacy) file systems:

    DSCB (data set control block)
    Master Catalog data set attribute extension (AX) cell
    PDSE member attribute extension (AX) cell
    ISPF member statistics
    TOD (current time_of_day on the server side).

Rube Goldberg.

-- gil