No, subtract 8-16 bytes from the area address to get to the header...

I guess my usage of the words "top" and "ABOVE" could be misleading - this is
how we were drawing memory maps back in the 70s, so that they grow DOWN from
the staring location

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 08:53:54 -0500, Victor Gil wrote:

>I am guessing the length may be stored somewhere in the vicinity of the area
>top address, say within 8-16 bytes ABOVE it.

So to get to it you just add the length of the area to the address of the area?

>At least this is how CICS handles GETMAIN requests which also don't require
>length on the FREEMAINs.
>
>Of course, if the convention is not documented it may change at any time ...

-- gil