For years my fiercest hot button has been not structural syntax differences
among components but the scurrilous practice of introducing a keyword change in
one release that is incompatible with the previous release(s). Over the years
we've seen this with various products/components. SMS (PDSE-related keywords)
and Netview (INITRTN in SSN) come to mind. Such incompatible members cannot be
shared among different releases and complicate both forward migration and
(godforbid) fallback. It's been a while since one of these bricks has fallen on
us, so it appears that IBM's internal politicking has worked.

In one grand instance, Peter Relson was able to promote a major change in one
key member, IEASYSxx. A new keyword WARNUND in IEASYSxx does this: if an
undefined keyword is encountered, issue a warning message but continue the IPL.
It applies only to the contents of IEASYSxx, and it's incumbent on the sysprog
to verify that it's really a new keyword and not merely an old one misspelled.
If other products/components introduced such support, our lives would be
improved. WARNUND for SMS would have saved us a lot of grief moving to z/OS
1.6. And back several times! It would not have helped in the Netview case,
where one release required INITRTN while the previous release could not
tolerate it. Still, it's the right direction for all products/components.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company