The Compuware COBOL editor is an OEM licensed Slickedit core plugin for Eclipse. That is a far better solution than stock RD/z which has a plethora of different editors for each different programming language. I use RD/z with the SE core plugin and have the same editor for C/C++, Java, HLASM, COBOL, PL/1, REXX, Lua etc, etc. IBM missed a trick there. Compuware were smart. If you want a decent editor then license one from a company that specializes in editors! Slickedit has an ISPF emulation mode which has the same primary commands and line commands that you would be used to in ISPF, and a color scheme that looks just like ISPF (black, red, turq and white). It does have some differences that may be annoying though.

IMO LPEX is very ordinary and stacks up very poorly when compared to modern editors.

Other than the RSE and code editing I have found very little to interest me in RD/z. I don't use the CICS tooling and most of the PDT plugins suck. Green screen SDSF is so much better than any GUI I've seen yet because it has a command line. I love command lines, best UI ever invented IMO. And there are tons of young kids smashing *nix shells that love them too :)

On 30/08/2016 6:35 PM, Brenton, Ren wrote:
David,

The RD/z 3270 emulator, is, as I stated before,  just that... a 3270 emulator.
It does not have the ability to leverage any of the RD/z niceties, like LPEX,
the COBOL Editor, not the Compuware COBOL Editor.   If it does, please let me
know how to invoke the RD/z features.

Thanks

Ren
Ext 1448

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of David Crayford
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2016 8:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: RD/z

RD/z has a 3270 emulator built in. Why don't you just use that if you miss ISPF
so much?

On 30 Aug 2016, at 1:12 AM, Brenton, Ren <ren.bren...@bkfs.com> wrote:

Yes, Gil is correct.  An ISPF Editor plugin for RD/z would be awesome.
I miss my labels, I miss stacking commands (with an ";" or a "3/4", as
Gil uses).  Edit MACROS would be awesome.  Dialog Services, TB
services, LMM services, not to mention TSO services.  (Did I mention
CSR scroll?)

I thought about seeing if I could get my copy of Tritus SPF to work, somehow
under RD/z) but alas, after finding a 3.5 floppy drive, I found my floppy copy
was corrupted.  (Bummer).  (I loved Tritus).

Has anyone thought about trying to lash up WorkStation Connect to RD/z?  That
way the full complement of ISPF/TSO services would be supported?

Ren
Ext 1448