From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of David Crayford
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:51 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: RD/z

The Compuware COBOL editor is an OEM licensed Slickedit core plugin for
Eclipse. That is a far better solution than stock RD/z which has a plethora of
different editors for each different programming language. I use RD/z with the
SE core plugin and have the same editor for C/C++, Java, HLASM, COBOL, PL/1,
REXX, Lua etc, etc. IBM missed a trick there.
Compuware were smart. If you want a decent editor then license one from a
company that specializes in editors! Slickedit has an ISPF emulation mode which
has the same primary commands and line commands that you would be used to in
ISPF, and a color scheme that looks just like ISPF (black, red, turq and
white). It does have some differences that may be annoying though.

IMO LPEX is very ordinary and stacks up very poorly when compared to modern
editors.

Other than the RSE and code editing I have found very little to interest me in
RD/z. I don't use the CICS tooling and most of the PDT plugins suck. Green
screen SDSF is so much better than any GUI I've seen yet because it has a
command line. I love command lines, best UI ever invented IMO. And there are
tons of young kids smashing *nix shells that love them too :)