On 31/08/2016 6:38 PM, Scott Chapman wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 15:51:07 +0800, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is anybody outside of IBMs customers still using Eclipse? I was under
the impression that IntelliJ was the dominant force
in the fat IDE space now. And you get the same editor and user
experience no matter what language you're editing -
Java, JSP, HTML/CSS, Javascript, PHP, Scala, C/C++, Actionscript etc. It
also indexes the world so navigating around complex code
bases is seamless. Now that's progress...
Maybe a little off-topic but judging by the current questions on StackOverflow, I'm
going to say yes, plenty of people are using Eclipse for a variety of projects and
certainly not all of them can be IBM customers. Free is a strong competitive
advantage. Personally I use both Eclipse and NetBeans, with a growing preference
for NetBeans for most Java & web work, but there's a few things that Eclipse
does better. I've thought about giving IntelliJ a try, but the free options
generally work pretty well for me.

I was being a flippant Scott! Of course there are millions of Eclipse users out there. But word on the street is that IntelliJ is much better, especially it's code indexing engine. IntelliJ community edition is free which is pretty good if you're a Java/Android developer, and a whole lot more https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/editions_comparison_matrix.html. For modern web development using languages like Javascript/Node.js it seems the kids have gone back to the future and favor editors like Atom. The main complaint I see about Eclipse is that it's almost impossible to get a bug fixed quickly because core Eclipse has so few maintainers these days.

Scott