From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of David Crayford
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 7:12 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: RD/z

On 31/08/2016 6:38 PM, Scott Chapman wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 15:51:07 +0800, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Is anybody outside of IBMs customers still using Eclipse? I was under
>> the impression that IntelliJ was the dominant force in the fat IDE
>> space now. And you get the same editor and user experience no matter
>> what language you're editing - Java, JSP, HTML/CSS, Javascript, PHP,
>> Scala, C/C++, Actionscript etc. It also indexes the world so
>> navigating around complex code bases is seamless. Now that's
>> progress...
> Maybe a little off-topic but judging by the current questions on
> StackOverflow, I'm going to say yes, plenty of people are using Eclipse for a
> variety of projects and certainly not all of them can be IBM customers. Free
> is a strong competitive advantage. Personally I use both Eclipse and
> NetBeans, with a growing preference for NetBeans for most Java & web work,
> but there's a few things that Eclipse does better. I've thought about giving
> IntelliJ a try, but the free options generally work pretty well for me.

I was being a flippant Scott! Of course there are millions of Eclipse users out
there. But word on the street is that IntelliJ is much better, especially it's
code indexing engine. IntelliJ community edition is free which is pretty good
if you're a Java/Android developer, and a whole lot more
https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/editions_comparison_matrix.html.
For modern web development using languages like Javascript/Node.js it seems the
kids have gone back to the future and favor editors like Atom.
The main complaint I see about Eclipse is that it's almost impossible to get a
bug fixed quickly because core Eclipse has so few maintainers these days.

> Scott

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all
copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and
(iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware that any
message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by persons
other than the intended recipient. Thank you.