On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 20:24:58 -0600, Jack J. Woehr wrote:

>You'da thunk IBM would have just added a charset translation flag to scp for
>them what wanted it, but no-o-o ...

From an ASCII system I somtimes use (some embellishment of):

    ( cd source && pax -w . ) | ssh MVS "cd target && iconv -f IBM-1047
-t ISO8859-1 | pax -w"

... or the inverse.  Cumbersome, but it follows the venerable UNIX tradition
of connecting primitives rather than building every facility into every utility.

I largely agree with your "flag".  But slippery slope: should it be extended
to select among CP1047, CP037, CP500, ... DBCS, ... when iconv is
available to do that?

-- gil