Paul Gilmartin wrote:
I largely agree with your "flag".  But slippery slope: should it be extended
to select among CP1047, CP037, CP500, ... DBCS, ... when iconv is
available to do that?

I meant the "flag" was preferable to mangling the functionality of the
well-known tool scp.

My $0.02: IBM should have left their sticky blue fingers off of the scp code
and trained the customers to use iconv.

This would have had two benefits:

1. The customer would learn how to use the complete, more useful tool the way
the rest of the world uses it.
2. The customer would have had more of a leg up into using standard open source
tools and the vendors and IBM gradually
   leave them to their own resources in the open source world as maintenance
and development budgets for legacy
   record-based systems like z/OS, z/VM and IBM i decline towards stabilization
levels.

--
Jack J. Woehr     # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe