Sorry Anne, I wasn't implying anything with my quote,  I was merely throwing it
out there as supporting the reason that software vendors check serial numbers,
catching implementation mistakes more often than nefarious intents...
Especially in today's outsourced or skills deficient systems environments that
seem to becoming more common as Charles noted.

I do recall in the past, setting our real CPU serial numbers in the VM images
at a DR site, and at the time it seems like some software products were OK with
it.   Others were OK with the feigned serial number but complained about the
CPU model number (I don't remember if the 'real' CPU model number showed
through or it was something clever like x'FF')

Dana