From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Dana Mitchell
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:50 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: serial numbers ... real and imagine)

Sorry Anne, I wasn't implying anything with my quote,  I was merely throwing it
out there as supporting the reason that software vendors check serial numbers,
catching implementation mistakes more often than nefarious intents...
Especially in today's outsourced or skills deficient systems environments that
seem to becoming more common as Charles noted.

I do recall in the past, setting our real CPU serial numbers in the VM images
at a DR site, and at the time it seems like some software products were OK with
it.   Others were OK with the feigned serial number but complained about the
CPU model number (I don't remember if the 'real' CPU model number showed
through or it was something clever like x'FF')

Dana

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 13:14:34 +0000, Adams, Anne (DTI) <anne.ad...@state.de.us>
wrote:
>I guess I’m not really explaining myself too well here. Firstly, I'm
>not suggesting doing anything illegal or anything that would violate
>any licensing >agreements. (Jiminy Crickets, what sort of person do you
>think I am?)

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format.  Thank you.