Damn, I hate it when I do this. I then found:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg1PI47467

   -

   * USERS AFFECTED:                                              *
   * All users of the IBM Communications Server for z/OS Version  *
   * 2 Release 1 IP: syslog daemon                                *
   * PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:                                         *
   * The syslog daemon configuration file name in the EZBSYSLOGD  *
   * name/token pair is truncated by 1 character                  *
   * RECOMMENDATION:                                              *
   * Apply the PTF                                                *
   During initialization, the syslog daemon creates a name/token
   pair named EZBSYSLOGD.  The information saved in the name/token
   pair contains the configuration file name.  The last character
   of the name was overlaid with 1-byte of x'00'.

Problem conclusion

   -

   The syslog daemon has been corrected to save the entire
   configuration file name in the EZBSYSLOGD name/token pair.