> On Sep 28, 2016, at 12:49 PM, Jerry Whitteridge
> <jerry.whitteri...@safeway.com> wrote:
>
> Let me expand on that previous comment.
>
> If your Datacenter was/is designed for attended operations then console
> access is often restricted to physical access and so remote support becomes
> an issue. The conversion to unattended/lights out operations requires a
> rethink about console design, deployment and access from the traditional
> models. Both my Datacenters are designed for remote support (either can be
> run from either Datacenter OR by remote access). This was a part of the DR
> considerations as well as staffing choices. It did mean redesigning the
> console support but now we have access to any console from any authorized
> remote location without a physical presense.
>
> Jerry Whitteridge
> Manager Mainframe Systems & Storage
> Albertsons - Safeway Inc.
> 925 738 9443
> Corporate Tieline - 89443
———————————SNIP——————————————————

Jerry:

I will agree with your clarification with some minor cavets. That is all well
and good for a “new” DC. The rest of us mortals do not have the luxury of
having such a set up.
Personally I have not had much need for the HMC. It is clunky and far to easy
to bring down the entire sysplex, especially if you don’t use it everyday. in
fact I dread the time I have to “use” it as I am sure without thinking I will
crash the systems. Having seen (not by my hand) the entire plex being lost just
by hands of the in-experianced is not for the feint of heart.

I know of one “system” that is run via remote by about 1000 miles. There is so
much non trust between the sites and the political cr** that ends up in finger
pointing I am glad I have nothing to do with the mess.

I suppose its fine if the site/remote gets along but with the charged finger
pointing that goes on I don’t see it realistically well implemented especially
in a real environment where finger checks cause the stock market not to open.
Perhaps in a college environment it would work but not in a true production
environment.

Ed