The links appear to be working now.

I hope that only minimal reading between the lines is needed to make it clear where we're going with product installation on the z/OS platform. It's been quite a journey to get this far, and we've had the help of dozens of other software vendors.

We overuse the word "transform" a lot. So I will say instead that collectively we have an exciting opportunity to transmogrify the installation process for products on the z/OS platform into something a lot better. (Did I really say "exciting"? Me? Yep.)

We now have an SMP/E-agnostic product packager, installer, and deployment manager built into z/OS V2.2's z/OSMF Software Management functions; it's part of the operating system now. We have the ability to export software instances and use them as input to a deployment operation. We plan new APIs to let you create and export software instances from a program, too. And, we plan to build infrastructure into ServerPac's ordering and delivery systems so that ServerPac can support products that are not packaged using SMP/E.

*Whoa*! Don't panic. This DOES NOT signal that IBM will move everything out of SMP/E management. There are no plans to change the packaging for products that really need SMP/E or something just like it. But, Software Management now supports non-SMP/E-packaged products too.

If I get approved, and if the session is accepted, I'll be talking about this more, and expanding on IBM's future directions for installation, at SHARE in San Jose. There might be another related session, as well. Stay tuned...

There's other cool stuff in the z/OS announcement, too. The SMF analytics support bears directly on recent discussions here.

Go look!  (Watch the wrap.)

https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=AN&subtype=CA&htmlfid=897/ENUS216-392&appname=USN

--
John Eells